A filling yet refreshing simple dish, especially in the summer. There is no need for a separate dressing for this recipe, and it can be made hours before serving, making it an ideal choice for a potluck or a picnic.
● Serves: 4
● Active Time: 45 mins
● Total Time: 1 hr
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 med zucchini, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 med cucumber, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 med tomatoes, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions, white and light green parts
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 3 to 4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
sea salt, to taste
Rinse the rice and place it in a saucepan with 2 cups water. Bring the water to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender, about 45 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Transfer the rice to a large bowl and let it cool for a few minutes until no longer steaming. Add the zucchini, cucumber, tomatoes, green onions, cilantro, most of the lemon juice, pepper, and salt to taste. Mix well. Taste and add more lemon juice or salt if desired. Cover and chill or let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes to allow the juices from the vegetables and the lemon juice to mix with the rice so that all the flavors marry.
Serve cold or at room temperature. Store the salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.