Ayurveda is a system of natural healing that has its roots in ancient India. It is believed to be the oldest healing modality in the World. The knowledge contained in Ayurveda deals with everything from nature, physical aspects of health and disease, happiness and sorrow. Ayurveda is a medical science and its purpose is to heal the body and to maintain the quality and longevity of life. It is an art of daily living that has embraced my life and I would like to share some daily tips to improve yours during this Quarantine or even during normal schedules.
Spend 10 minutes a Day Treating and Taking Care of Yourself:
1. Drink some warm or hot water when you wake up. Helps to “flush out” your pipes in the morning.
2. Heat some sesame oil or herbal oil (in a double boiler for 5 minutes) and apply first to hands, soles of feet, umbilicus, then face and rest of body. Enjoy rubbing this oil into your skin to feed your skin micro-biome, lubricating your largest organ and preventing wrinkles. You can also use a dropper, tilt your head back and apply 2 drops of the warm sesame oil into each nostril. This lubricates your nasal passages, prevents viruses and bacteria from entering through your nose.
3. After brushing your teeth use some sesame oil to clean your mouth by swishing it (oil pulling) for 5 minutes. This keeps your face muscles strong, prevents wrinkles and prevents harmful bacteria from destroying your gums and teeth….AND during this Quarantine (or anytime) who wants to go for an emergency dental visit?! So that’s why my kids aged 7 and 9 are also oil pulling!
4. After oil application take a nice Hot Shower.
5. BONUS ROUND – 7 Minute Meditation. 7 minutes changes brain patterns & increases bodies electromagnetic frequencies.
Ayurveda considers health to be a state of perfect balance between the 3 biological energies in your body, corresponding to one’s individual constitution and a balance of the health of your physical body tissues and your ability to excrete waste (such as feces, urine and sweat). The most important aspect is harmony between the 3 biological energies, which results from dealing with the physical and emotional factors in one’s life. Try adding 1 or all of these steps to your morning and see how creating a Ayurveda routine can improve your health.
Illness is Contagious, but so is Health.